Artifact Bags

Today in class we presented our artifact bags to each other.
My bag included:  

    File:Question book magnify2.svg - Wikimedia Commons
  • a bullet
  • moctezuma's headdress
  • metal armor 
  • stone weapons 
My bag was meant to represent the Spanish conquistadors and the Aztecs fighting. 

  • a sword 
  • armor
  • a horse
  • a cross
Kristen's bag was meant to represent the Spanish conquistadors. 

The other group represented Christopher Columbus in their bags. I thought Michaela's artifacts were really creative. She went out of her way to to go to the flee market to get these artifacts. She had a pilgrim, a compass, a picture of a boat, and the Italian flag. I also liked how Alexis's presentation was very engaging. She had us guess what the artifacts are going to be about based on the pictures on her bag. Rachel and Kim had a can of corn and cinnamon sugar to represent the items that were brought over during the columbian exchange.

I thought this activity was very engaging and fun! I had a great time putting together my bag and making the artifacts. When we would open their bag and pick out the artifacts, everyone was enthusiastic and were excited to figure out what the artifact was! This activity was worthwhile because it allowed me to remember the topics related to Christopher Columbus since it was visual and hands on. I think students will really enjoy this activity because they are allowed to be creative with making and finding their artifacts. They can also put their own twists on them while staying true to the meaning of the artifact. Students will enjoy presenting their bags to the class and getting everyone to guess what their artifacts were. If I was doing this in my class I would use this activity after I teach the lesson. I would assign the different conquistadors, places, and wars as different topics for the artifact bags. It is a good way to assess how well the students understand and retained the information that was taught.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Job Interview

Origins of Social Studies

5 Themes of Geography